Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Ang's Top Five Contemporary Standalone Novels

In my humble opinion, a great standalone novel is worth its weight in avocados! Last month I shared five of my favorite standalone fantasy novels. This month we're looking at five contemporary standalone novels I think are bonkers awesome!

So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld
goodreads
A thought-provoking young adult contemporary mystery,
So Yesterday is a fun read that will make you laugh,
fall in love with a cutie named Hunter,
and get you thinking about advertising and trends.
I would recommend it to just about everyone.

The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
goodreads
The protagonist of A Curious Case is Christopher,
a fifteen-year-old boy with autism.
Christopher is relatable even when he's throwing a king-sized tantrum.
Mr. Haddon not only addresses the difficulties Christopher faces,
but the toll it has taken on his family and those around him.
The author deals with hard themes with grace.
The plot twists are enjoyable. I loved meeting Christopher.
And I know this novel gave me a better appreciation
not only for children with autism,
but the families who help them lead healthy, productive lives.

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
goodreads
I've Got Your Number made me laugh so hard my sides hurt
and my face ached from grinning. Since reading this book the first time,
I have reread it multiple times. It never gets old.
And that's what I've got to say about it!

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by DC Pierson
goodreads
This novel left me baffled in a good way and I'll take it.
My inner geek loved The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep in ways I can't explain.
Full of wit that made me literally laugh out loud,
the book combined reality with the unimaginable
in a way that was both endearing and funny.
Darren and Eric both stole my heart.

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Ms. Matson's writing style is packed with wisdom and charm.
Amy's struggle with the loss of her father and the emotional distance
she feels from her mother and brother is heart-wrenching.
The story doesn't feel weighed down.
And Amy's and Roger's friendship blossoms right before the readers' eyes.
All while the author takes us on a journey
through the United States reminding us how grand it is.
This is one of my all time favorite YA Coming of Age novels!

Do you have a favorite standalone novel?
Do you prefer standalone books or series?

4 comments:

  1. Now I have to go and read the Curious incident now. I never knew it was about that. I just thought it was trendy and fashionable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i read it years and years ago. a teacher friend of mine who works with special needs kids recommended it to me. i'd never heard of it before she mentioned it. i really enjoyed it. =)

      Delete
  2. I've read The Curious Incident years ago but surprise, surprise I can't remember it. Oh my forgetful brain! Great post! I'll add these to my list ;)

    ReplyDelete