Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Middle of the Ride

Mood music provided by Kim aka the bestie.


I've been a tad bit overwhelmed, a wee bit anxious, and overall freaking out. Simply a pleasure to live with, I tell ya! I'm an enthusiastic person and I try my best to remain positive, but please understand I'm a realist. I've done my homework and I know the depressing statistics. The probability of me getting published (in the traditional sorta way) is slim to none. However, it's far easier to deal with that stark reality when you're in the thick of writing a story. At least, it was for me.

I was so busy daydreaming and plotting and scheming and swooning and crying that I didn't have time to worry about queries and summaries and pitches and log-lines and cover letters and  line-edits and agents and markets and... *brain explodes*

All of it came crashing down on me last week. I couldn't sleep. I could hardly eat. My brain was a skipping record and the phrase on repeat-- you can't do this. you can't do this. you can't do this.

Drama. Drama. Drama.

I'm much better now. The best and the mister took turns slapping me, told me to get a hold of myself, and reminded me to take a deep breath, stop all the fretting, and get back to work. (I have no clue what I'd do without them.)

And that's exactly what I've been doing. I'm trying to focus on the things I can control. I can control the quality of my manuscript. I can control who I query and the quality of the letters I send out. I can control my attitude by maintaining a realistic yet hopeful mindset. Most importantly, I can keep myself in control, slow down, focus on taking one small step at a time, and not write myself off just yet.

I've been reminding myself how much I love to write and that I've been writing for years without worrying about impressing others, but for the pure joy of the experience. And most importantly, I've been focusing on one plain and simple truth-- the world will not end if my book doesn't get picked up by an agent.

Robert Frost said:

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on.


Just another simple, yet undeniable truth.

How do you maintain a positive attitude in the face of such insurmountable odds?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ang :) I totally know where you're coming from! It's normal to get frustrated and freak out once in a while :) After all, every super-successful writer has been there. It's all part of the journey. When I'm feeling that way I just remind myself that I what I'm striving for can't be achieved over night. It takes time, and I just force myself to keep moving forward. As long as we're writing, revising, editing, connecting with others, progress is still being made :) All the best to you in your journey! And Happy Friday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Perspective truly is key. But the best part has got to be taking the journey with others! Happy Friday to you too! *hugs*

      Delete