Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Ang's Top Five Bookish Habits

This month’s top five is my top five bookish habits. From the genres I read to how I review novels get ready to learn about a few of my bookish quirks.

1. Keeping Track Of My Reading Progress.
Whether I’m reading a physical copy or an ebook, I like to keep track of how much of the book I have left to read. Ebooks are simple: I use the percentage read option verses the page counting option. For print copies, I will pull out my calculator and place markers at the twenty-five percent, fifty percent, and seventy-five percent marks. I also like to place a marker (not a bookmark, mind you, since I lose them all the time and use random notecards instead) at the end of the chapter I’m reading. This way I can tell how much more I have left.

2. One Book At A Time.
I read one book at a time. I get antsy and confused if I try to take on more than one story. Plus, I get tunnel vision when reading a book and have to finish it before starting another story. And once I start a book, I have to finish it. It’s rare that I don’t finish a book which is why I don’t have a DNF bookshelf on GoodReads.

3. Rereading Books I Didn’t Like. 
This one might seem odd but I like to give books I didn’t like another chance. Case in point: Animal Farm. I despised it as a kid. Loved it as an adult. However, no matter how many times I reread Old Man and the Sea I never like it. And I have probably read the book (at least) four or five times.

4. Review What I Like.
I appreciate the need for critical reviews. But I have to be honest, I find no joy in writing them. And as stated above, I often give books I disliked another chance. Thus I write reviews for the books I like and reread the books I didn’t like another day. I have no regrets.

5. Read Anything And Everything.
And last, but not least:
I read anything and everything.
Adult.
Young Adult.
Middle Grade.
Picture Books.
Horror.
Romance.
Nonfiction.
Poetry.
The back of a cereal box.
There's no genre I won't try.
I'm an eclectic reader who just wants to read a good book.
If that good book is written for ten-year-olds even better.

What are your bookish habits?
Do you (like me) read one book at a time?
Or do you have at least five going all at once?
Do you keep track of where you're at in a book or wing it?
Do you read everything and anything or are you genre loyal?

6 comments:

  1. I wish I read more these days, so busy trying to fit writing in, then editing etc... but it's so important to balance it with reading, and I like to try new and different genres too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's hard to find a good balance between writing and reading. *hugs*! so excited for your story!! sending all the YOU CAN DO IT vibes your way. *MORE HUGS*

      Delete
  2. I juggle books, but I tend to go by format, so I will read one print copy, one kindle, and one ereader (yes, I have a Kindle Fire & a Sony reader! one with a lit back and one not). But when I am getting into one book more than another, it will speed out in front.

    I tend to also be reading a children's book (as I still read in English to 10yo - being that Dutch is his first language). And that is fiction, sometimes I have a non-fiction going on too (self-help usually).

    so yeah, lots of juggling.

    Before Goodreads book challenge I was flailing (note not failing) with getting through books, no real impetus. Currently though I am 5 books behind as I set myself the high target of 50 books this year, which is a LOT for me! I am still going to try (she spies the thinner books on the TBR shelf to get her through - lots of Agatha Christie).

    I have become much more open with my genres - and authors actually. I am still more a horror, dark story reader. I still love Stephen King, Clive Barker & James Herbert (although the latter has now left us so no new books). But I also love Fantasy - Raymond Fiest, Terry Pratchett, and science Fiction, Authur C Clarke.

    Since joining Twitter and now knowing so many writers I have branched out into all sorts of genres, and I love it. The more engaging, the more I will read. I am currently reading a Cozy Mystery because it's by an author I like (Dionne Lister). I have discovered some brilliant writers, like yours truly. Horror wise I adore Mark Cassell.

    I do this thing that when I like an author I have to buy ALL their books. With Stephen King still producing 2 a year it can be tricky to keep up! And even though Terry Pratchett has also left us I still have several of his books to get through.

    So many books so little time. I make time for reading, but sometimes it is only an hour or half an hour. I don't consider myself a fast reader. I have been trying to work out how people are fast readers, but I think sometimes they just commit more time. I have so many things to do I just don't have time - like writing, editing, lollygagging on social media, and writing blog posts.


    Anyway, rambling and need to get youngest in bed. All the books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. once i find an author i *heart* i have to read all their books too! it's an itch i must scratch.

      good luck getting caught up on your reading goal! you can (and will!!) do the thing. =)

      Delete
  3. Audiobooks are my favorite way to read because I can multitask (and tune out my kids πŸ˜‰)
    Pretty much only read books my bestie recs to me. 😍
    I mostly read YA fiction and romance. 🀷🏼‍♀️
    I listen to the same audiobooks multiple times. 🎧
    I’m terrible about keeping track of my books on goodreads. πŸ“š
    I have several books/series I’ve started reading but never finished. 🀦🏼‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm pretty sure a few of those series are ones i dropped too. ;)

      Delete