Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Ang's Top Five Standalone Fantasy Novels

Fantasy is one of my favorite genres. From kidlit like A Wrinkle in Time to middle school/young adult novels like Percy Jackson to epic adult series like Dragonlance, I'm down for it all. It's a good thing this list is limited to five picks or else we'd be here a long time, my friends. And for a fun twist, let's look at standalone novels. Without further ado, I present to you, five of my favorite standalone fantasy novels.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
We're kicking this list off with a book
I've reread multiple times and love with all my heart.
It's dark and twisted.
Romantic and magical.
There's a reason I read The Night Circus over and over again.
That reason: it's so damn good.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
While many readers love Gaiman's adult fictions,
in my humble opinion, his youth novels are where he shines.
The Graveyard Book is dark and spooky with undertones
of a sinister world while still maintaining a hopeful vibe.
The Graveyard Book is Gaiman at his best.

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. Book.
A classic fantasy novel with so much heart,
Tuck Everlasting takes on love and death.
And what it fundamentally means to be courageous and live.

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin
A clever take on the afterlife,
Gabrielle Zevin's Elsewhere left me in a puddle of tears.
Beautifully bittersweet, Elsewhere is one of
the most emotional books I've ever read.

Chime by Franny Billingsley
Back when I was book blogging
I was offered the chance to read the Chime ARC.
I'd never heard of the author but decided to take a chance.
And I'm so glad I did.
Here's part of the review I wrote:
First and foremost, Chime is a beautifully written novel.
Each word picked for not only its meaning,
but its sound. Each phrase carefully crafted to grab our attention,
keep us hooked, move us, delight us.
You can read my full review of Chime on GoodReads.

What are your top fantasy novels?
Are you equal opportunity like me: able to read adult and children's fantasy?
Or are you loyal to adult or YA fiction?
Do you have a standalone fantasy favorite?
Or do you stick to series?
SO MANY QUESTIONS!

No comments:

Post a Comment