Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The One Where Ang Attends A Book Signing & Almost Pees Her Pants

Last night, I attended The Smart Chicks Kick It! tour. It was my first author signing. After decades of being an avid reader, I FINALLY got the chance to actually meet a few of my writing idols. And let me just say, they did not disappoint! So excuse me for a moment whilst I fan-girl out. The likelihood of me rambling on like a loon in this post is extremely probable. Please forgive me. I know not what I do. Please forgive me, I can't stop lovin' you. *dramatically bows head*

1. Where Ang says thank you.
Before this party gets started, I must thank two people.

First, the best, Kim, who emailed me last week & said: Hey, some of our favorite authors are coming to your hometown and you are going. The end.

Secondly, I want to thank Carrie from Stalking the Bookshelves for answering all my n00b questions about signing etiquette and what to expect.
*high-fives & twirls all around*

2. Where Ang looks for a sucker date to drive her to go with her to the shindig.
I needed a date, cause let's be frank, fan-girling alone ain't no fun. I knew only one person would do:
 That would be me & Sarah of Sea Sarah Blog aka my sister 
aka the hottest up and coming book blogger in the world,
thank-you-very-much.
I know, we're smexy.
We can't help it.
*shrugs*

3. Where Ang gets a new book & some swag.
Now, I've heard of the wonders of swag. I'd be remiss if I didn't admit I've spent the last few years in a perpetual state of jealousy over those who swag seems to rain down on like manna from the heavens and lil ole me in the corner stuck in a never ending drought. But, by the book gods, the storm clouds rolled into my desert home last night and rained down upon me!

From tattoos to chocolate my cup runneth over.
At the event, I bought a copy of
Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr. 
I brought five books from home to be signed, as well. 

4. Where Ang accosts an author & chit-chats about nonsense. 
While the Q & A session was fun times, my favorite part was actually getting to meet the authors. I had no game plan going into the night, I just hoped I wouldn't wet myself or turn bright red as is my M.O. I am happy to report I:

a. did NOT jump over the tables and beg the authors in attendance to be my best friends.
b. pee myself when said authors actually laughed at my lame jokes.
(the p.s. This is a Christmas miracle as I drank a huge cup of iced tea right before the Q&A started and was virtually on the verge of wetting myself the whole night. I kid you not.)
c. manned up and asked one of my all time favey-faves to take a picture with me.
Oh that's me and Kimberly Derting.
Excuse me whilst I gush. She has no CLUE how cool I had to play it in this moment. She is not only one of my all time favorites, but the first published author I have EVER spoken with in the real world. *swa-oooon* For the record, Sarah refused to use the flash cause she didn't want to blind Mrs. Derting. Thusly, the picture is a blurry mess (at this moment in time, I will not point out that my sister's husband is a professional photographer and she's better than this). Alas, the picture is proof we actually met and I'm a happy camper.

5. Where Ang is encouraged & rambles on a wee bit. 
After leaving the signing last night, I felt this great sense of purpose and exhilaration. Writing is not easy, for the most part we authors are alone. Sure, if we are blessed, we have amazing support systems and people raining down encouragement on us, but when push comes to shove, when an author sits down to write their little ditties, they are lone-dogging it. And when the time comes to take a step out and try to make your dreams come true, it's hard not to feel as if every door has slammed in your face before you've even begun. It's hard not to feel too young or too old or too small or too naive or too unconnected or ... 

But being at the signing last night and meeting the authors really pulled into focus what I want to achieve. I might be too naive and far too small and waaaaaay too unconnected, but by golly, they were once right where I am. They had a story weighing down on them and a desire to have it heard and they worked and they stressed and they probably felt just like I do, but they didn't allow it to hold them back! 

*cues the music* 
And this is how you end a post, folks. BOOM!

8 comments:

  1. Yay!! I am so glad you had fun and pee stains are never good first impressions so way to hold it my friend! :-) I'm jealous you got to meet Kimberly. She wasn't at our tour stop so lucky you!! Enjoy your fun swag and who cares if the picture is blurry. You made a memory, dang it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I really don't care about the blurry picture. I just wanna give my sister a hard time. *grins evilly & twirls mustachio*

      Delete
  2. I just love your blog and your bubbliness! Can't wait til I'm a famous author and you come to my book signing - hahahahahahahaha!
    And just watch out when it's your turn to do a signing - I will be tongue tied as I trip over in front of you with my copy of your brilliant debut novel!
    We can but dream! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting on the one where I'll be in line for five hours desperate to get your signature on my copy of your record breaking best selling novel. Fin.

      p.s. Big dream or go home, right? WE CAN TOTALLY DO THIS!! *hugs*

      p.p.s. I'm writing this comment under duress. Meaning, I should be leaving right now to pick up the kids from school, yet here I sit blogging. Mother of the year, I tell ya!

      Delete
  3. I heart you more than you know ;) I had a blast ---- seriously ---- and then your shout outs ;) i love you sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you two were able to go! Wish I had been there. someday I will be there with you at YOUR first signing! yes, it will happen!

    I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *crosses fingers*
      *squeezes eyes shut tight*
      *prays to the gods of books & sprinkles, oh & cookies for good measures*
      b2b4L

      Delete